15 May 2012

books to renovate by

I think I've exhausted the interior design section of our local library, and thought I'd share some of my favorites with you - by favourites, I mean the ones I either didn't want to return or ended up rushing out to buy.


Frank Roop – The New Bespoke
Even if I can't afford the silk wallpapers he so obviously enjoys using, his serene yet colourful palettes are oh so good.  This I am seriously tempted to buy.



Celerie Kemble - Black and White (and a Bit in Between)
Lovely monochromatic decor



Katie Ridder - Rooms
divine colour choices, and rooms featuring her fabulously quirky wallpaper
(like Oiseau in Orange)



House Beautiful Colors for your Home:  300 Designer Favorites
I initially borrowed this from the library and ended up quickly ordering my own copy.  I thought that beyond renovation it would make such a great reference for when I am painting the odd chair or desk.  I love the descriptions the designers give for their choices of colour.



Kevin McCloud's 43 Principles of Home
I adore this book and bought my own copy last year.  When we were swotting up on lighting his section was most helpful.  The book is informative as well as very interesting to read, peppered with stories of his travels (did you see his documentary on Dharavi, 'Slumming It'?).






Be Your Own Decorator
This book is like a collection of all the decors I like, including excerpts from some of the above books.  The only thing that bugs me is its lack of credits, e.g. featured wallpaper.

2 comments:

  1. I love Kevin! I might have to hunt me down a copy of that book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. these books look great- I'll have to check them out :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for your message!