9 January 2010

long black dress



An everyday version of one of the wedding dress mockups, in a silk linen (the fabric is so divine). I generally don't wear black but I do really like this matte dark charcoal, better suited to my colouring. The lighting is making it look more black than charcoal unfortunately, but I'm too tired/lazy/call me what you will to drag the tripod, etc, outside to find a better spot right now.

I won't be using this pattern for a wedding dress, though it'll be a fun day wear one. Very fitted through the bust, then slight gathers from empire waistline and long shaped skirt. Because of the degree of structure in the bodice I don't think I could wear this all day, but it's been helpful knowing what I do and don't want in a wedding dress.

I'm going to make a more easy-fitting version with a few changes and additions, which would be perfect for today's sunny, light breezy weather.

And this is a picture of Sofia C in a Dior dress. If an unknown was wearing it I might have thought it a bit prissy, but I shallowly admit she makes it cool. The one thing I keep thinking about is detail at the back of the dress, as when I'm up front getting married it'll give the guests something interesting to look at.


Also, Lucy got a little dress of her own (a size 3 unstructured version of my fake Marchesa). Lucy loves it (easily pleased, it seems, when it is pink and floaty). Brendan asked if she was wearing her nightie. I guess guys would think the same about all those full smock dresses being worn the last couple of years. Ah, but what do they know (I guess if they're Scott Schuman, though, I wouldn't argue).



All that matters is I get a sweet smile from you know who.

10 comments:

  1. i like hearing about your process of selecting (and making?) your wedding dress.

    lucy looks very sweet in her dress. i cannot believe it's been nearly a year already, it's hard accepting how the time keeps zipping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! I love the grey dress, and the bow on the back of the other dress. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it's not even an insta-smile on sweet Peche Lucy (tres adorable)! Love, love the black dress and agree the back detail on Sofia's frock would be gorgeous for your wedding dress. Now for the Paris honeymoon for you and B... (Seine River in foreground of Sofia shot - and really, that photo could be you just with shorter hair). xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a marvelous dressmaker! I wouldn't even know where to begin...goodness! And Lucy's dress...what a dream! It looks very enchanting, and so very comfortable. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh! Lucy looks adorable in her dress.

    Once again, this dress looks so much better than any of the store ones you showed us that you tried on. And I like that back detail on the Dior dress. Very pretty. That clutch she has is pretty cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i love the black dress! lovely silk. it looks really modern and the back is very flattering, especially with your long hair.
    gosh catherine could you be any prettier these days?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your dress + lucy's too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that charcoal dress is very pretty. And, love that little dress on Lucy. They both are reminiscent of modern versions of Pride and Prejudice, Emma, etc. dresses. Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The charcoal dress is just stunning on you! I think its my favorite of all of them. The style is very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the charcoal dress is perfect. you are such a talent!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for your message!