14 January 2010

the bride wore Phillip Lim

Could she?




Today's obsession is this draped 3.1 Phillip Lim dress I saw at a (non-bridal) boutique today. I love how it drapes, the colour is good on me, and I particularly like how it doesn't have BRIDE written all over it. Though Brendan thinks it isn't bridey enough, despite my insistence that it might with the right accessories (headpiece, etc). I think the owner fibbed a bit when she said she got it in around November last year, as I found out it's from his Spring 08 collection. I still love it though, but have been told 'we can do better'. Oh how I despise my parade being rained on!

As for 'proper' wedding shops, I stopped in at John Zimmerman yesterday and there were some lovely pieces there. I did not appreciate, however, his abruptness in telling me I needed to book to try his dresses on (the shop was empty), and when I said I'd have to get back to him as I have two children to factor in (babysitting-wise), he said in no uncertain terms 'don't bring your children'. As if! Even Mum, who was with me as she is up on holiday, was quite offended. So even though he had a couple of lovely dresses, I'm not sure I'll bother going back. He did nothing to make me want to put $3,000 in his hand, that's for sure.

I finally visited Tutta Bella this morning, and the owner Lesley was lovely. She says 'sweety' at the end of every sentence, and although she too requires appointments to try dresses on, she did give me a bit of advice and draped a few dresses over me. There were some nice dresses, but all very bridey, and funnily enough the one that stood out the most was a Vera Wang evening gown, so not even a bridal dress.

What to do, what to do. The day is getting closer, and so far the only one I have taken to is the 3.1 Phillip Lim dress that Brendan thinks 'isn't enough'.

17 comments:

  1. oh, it's beautiful! go back with your headpiece and take a picture and i am sure he will change his mind. stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think so too, it's giving me pains leaving it at the shop! What I realise I didn't show here is that it finishes at mid-high calf, so not long or floor sweeping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can really see this as a bridal gown. grecian but short, and with the right headpiece, it could be very 60s or 20s, depending on how you play it.

    the back is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My apologies to your man, but I love, love, LUUURVE this one. It is ethereal and goddess-y, in the best sense of the words. As you mentioned, the color is good on you, and the shape really works well with your figure.

    But I'm not the one marrying you, so I guess that Brendan's vote rules! Good luck with the dress hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I LOVE it! Although,if Brendan isn't too into it I would probably keep looking (I hate to say it)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please please PLEASE get this dress! It's so perfect. And with some fabulous shoes and accessories I think Brendon would surely have to change his mind. Gosh you're a well behaved bride, letting him have a vote.

    Again, gorgeous. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh I love this one! It isn't a traditional bridal gown, but do you really want something traditional? And you feel so strongly about it - that is a sure sign.

    I can't believe what a terrible experience you had in that store. I am so turned off by bad service - I couldn't go back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful dress. It does drape so nicely on you! And, I am completely loving reading about your quest for wedding dresses, accessories, et al.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the strong opinion that a bridal dress must be "felt" more than other dresses, so if you felt it was the right one, go for it without any doubt! There are so many lovely headpieces around that can make it more bridey (I saw many on Etsy). I vote for this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. if you like drapey dresses, try my friend's shop? weloveyu.com she does some fantastic draped bridal pieces, she is on facebook too (Yu) :)

    if I ever marry again, I'm going to get my dress from her for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh. my. that dress is gorgeous. truly. it is just enough. and looks smashing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! It's Beautiful! Am so enjoying your posts about the wedding dress decision... can't wait to see the final verdict. I know you will look stunning whatever you choose x

    ReplyDelete
  13. this one is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you pull this off really well! and a lot of us ladies wouldn't!

    good luck! have just been reading backwards through your pics and they are all gorgeous!

    Corrie:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alright, i'm delurking to say I LOVE THIS DRESS ON YOU! It is the perfect wedding dress. In my opinion, it doesn't have to be long and sweeping to be a wedding dress. You're absolutely right. With the right accessories it would be gorgeous! Get it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sigh, I still love it, especially after looking through a revolting bridal store yesterday. No conventional bride dress for me!

    I will try my hand at a long draped version. I so wish we had more Phillip Lim stockists here as there are a couple of other current styles that would be good contenders. The dress I am wearing here is a size US6 and I am a 2, so I would have had to get it taken in, not that that is an obstacle.

    Next time I just won't show him the dress, I'll just buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. that's a very beautiful dress and you wear it well ! You rock girl !

    ReplyDelete

Hello, and thanks for your message!